Once you've identified an item you want, you can:
- link to it (if it's available online), for immediate access.
- come to the library and get it off the shelf, (if it's physical and available); or
- request it.
When to Request A Physical Item
You can request an item when:
- It's currently unavailable (e.g. signed out to someone else).
- It will be recalled and you'll be notified when it's available for pickup.
- We allow other borrowers 7 days to return items. When it's returned, it's assigned to the next person on the list.
- Omni tells you where you are on the list.
- It's available at a different branch than you're at.
- It will be transferred to your chosen branch and you'll be notified when it's available for pickup.
- This normally takes 1-3 weekdays.
- It's available in the stacks (on the shelves), but you can't retrieve it right now
- It will be collected and kept for you at the Service Desk. You'll be notified when it's available for pickup.
- We collect items twice a day: morning and afternoon.
- We hold it for you for 5 days.
- It's not available from the Trent Library.
- This normally only applies if you've broadened your search to cover other Omni libraries, or if you selected "Add results beyond Trent's collection".
- When you request an item from another library, an interlibrary loan (ILL) form is partially filled out for you. Enter your personal information and submit it. We'll borrow it from another library for you.
- This takes several days, and you'll be notified when it's available for pickup.
Not all items are requestable. If it doesn't have a Request button, it can't be requested.
Once you've placed a request, check its progress in "My Account", "My Requests". You'll also be notified when it's available for pickup.
How to Request an Item
You must be signed in to submit requests. Login at the top right of your screen.
Once you've found an item, click on the title to see the "full record" with all your options.
Under "Get It", find the "Request" option. Click it.
If you don't see the Request option, make sure you're signed in and your name appears at the top right.
If you're signed in and it's not appearing, it's not requestable.
Select the type of request:
- a Request is filled as soon as possible.
- a Booking is filled for the date requested.
Choose your pickup location.
Select a date after which the item is no longer useful to you.
- This doesn't change how quickly we get it to you, but if it's already too late by the time we get it, it moves on to the next person on the list.
Click "Send Request ".
Once you've created a request, check its progress in "My Requests". You'll also be notified when it's available for pickup.